News & Events
Taoran Li wins NACMPA conference scholarship
(2010-08-31) Congratulations to Taoran Li, PhD student, who was honored with a travel award from the North American Chinese Medical Physicists Association for his oral presentation at the Great Wall 2010 International Congress on Medical Physics held recently in Nanjing, China.
Welcome to New Class
(2010-08-30) This fall marks the matriculation of our program's 6th and largest class yet, comprised of 29 MS, 4 PhD, and 1 non-degree students. Lynda Ikejimba, PhD student, received the NIH Training Fellowship, Dean's Graduate Fellowship and the School of Medicine's Diversity Enhancement Fellowship. Ioannis Argyridis, MS student, received the Fulbright Scholarship for Master's Degree, a two year fellowship. According to the website of the Cyprus Fulbright Commission [ext. link], "The Fulbright Scholarship Program is a world renowned, merit-based scholarship program that aims to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and other countries through the exchange of persons, knowledge, and skills." Congratulations to Lynda and Ioannis!
Fall 2010 Schedule
(2010-08-30) Classes for the fall semester begin today. For this fall, we offer the following courses listed below by course number, title, and instructor:
- MEDPHY 200 Radiation Physics (Gunasingha)
- MEDPHY 205 Anatomy / Physiology for Medical Physics (Reiman)
- MEDPHY 230A Modern Diagnostic Imaging Systems (MacFall)
- MEDPHY 251 Seminars in Medical Physics (Lo/Oldham/Segars)
- MEDPHY 312 Radiobiology (Hoppenworth/Kirsch)
- MEDPHY 322 Advanced Photon Beam Radiation Therapy (Das)
- MEDPHY 326 Practicum on Monte Carlo Methods in Medical Physics (Gunasingha)
- MEDPHY 328 Clinical Practicum in Radiation Therapy (Z. Wang)
- MEDPHY 331 Advanced Medical Imaging Physics (Dobbins)
- MEDPHY 348 Clinical Practicum and Shadowing in Nuclear Medicine (Turkington)
- MEDPHY 359 Independent Study in Medical Physics (Multiple)
IC3DDose Conference concludes
(2010-08-26) Program faculty member Mark Oldham PhD organized and chaired IC3DDose: the 6th International Conference on 3D Radiation Dosimetry (formerly DOSGEL). The conference was held on Hilton Head Island, SC, and sponsored in part by the AAPM, Southeast Chapter of the AAPM, and the Duke Medical Physics Graduate Program. Dr. Oldham told us, "We had 122 attendees (32 PhD students), 11 industrial sponsors, 22 invited speakers (including top radiation oncology experts), 92 proffered talks, and 26 approved CAMPEP credits. The printed conference proceedings was 501 pages!" More information may be found at the IC3DDose conference website [ext. link].
Oldham honored as AAPM Fellow
(2010-07-19) Mark Oldham PhD, Associate Professor of Radiation Oncology and Director of the Radiation Therapy Track in our program, was honored today as a Fellow of the AAPM. According to the AAPM, "The category of Fellow honors members who have distinguished themselves by their contributions in research, education, and leadership in the medical physics community."